Growing with hydroponics has been studied since the 1800’s when researchers discovered that plants in fact can get their essential mineral nutrients from just water and not soil.
By Laura Jane Smith
Growing with hydroponics has been studied since the 1800’s when researchers discovered that plants in fact can get their essential mineral nutrients from just water and not soil. In usual growing situations soil only acts as a reservoir for the mineral nutrients but is actually not needed at all for growth of a plant. Usually mineral nutrients in soil will dissolve into water when it is introduced and the roots of the plant are then able to absorb what is needed. What researchers discovered is that the required amount can be artificially put into the plants water supply, hence no need for soil in plant growth. Hydroponics can be used with almost any terrestrial plant and is also used in biology research and in teaching. Young children usually get taught the basics by planting a seed in cotton wool. There are many advantages of growing with hydroponics and it is now being adapted all over the world as a favored method of growing and favored method for food production:
- As said above, there is no need for soil which means the growing environment can be more compact and cleaner and land across the world can be used for other things.
- Water can be re-used, where as with soil the water would get lost and absorbed. This means water costs are lower. This is a massive benefit for huge hydroponic farms, especially those who produce food for supermarkets.
- You control the nutrition levels in the plants entirety which means lower nutrition costs and you can control exactly how healthy you want your plant to be.
- You release no nutrition pollution because you have everything in a controlled environment
- You prevent your crops dying from pests and diseases that would usually occur outdoors in soil. You also save your plants from extreme weather conditions and natural disasters. If they do happen to obtain a disease it is very easy to get rid of before damaging your plants.
- There is a lot more space to grow, as you can have things hung up as well as in containers.
- You can grow out of season vegetables and plants all year round which means if you are using hydroponics as a business you are likely to make more money.
- If you are using hydroponics on a small scale you can get automated equipment which allows you to set timers for watering and other things. This is good for those who enjoy growing but still lead busy lives.
- You eliminate weeds which means you will save the time you used to spend digging them up
- Your process will be overall quicker and your plants will be bigger, healthier and natural as you control exactly what goes into them, which means you are guaranteed excellent results every time.
- Plants can now be grown in places where not usually possible like big cities, supermarkets and if you live in a big city and don’t have a garden you can grow vegetables and plants in window boxes